Friday 24 January 2014

Lucknowi Kurtis

Hello Friends,

Today's post is all about traditional Lucknowi Kurtis,  I am a big fan of Lucknowi Kurtis. They look very graceful, elegant and comfortable in wearing.

Lets take a peek in history

Lucknowi kurtis are also called as Chikankari, Chikan (means embroidery)  is a traditional embroidery style from Lucknow. This word is believed to be introduced by Nur Jehan, Mughal Emperor Jehangir's wife. Its one of the most famous textile decoration style from Lucknow.

The trend started during the time of Mughals and developed quickly. Lucknow grew into an international market for its renowned Chikankari work.

Back to present

There were times when Chikankari work was done only on cotton and muslin cloth, with changing times they have incorporated various different fabric from silk to crepe material. I usually pick up my Lucknowi Kurtis from Santacruz from one particular shop since ages.

Recently when I visited the shop I was surprised with the trendy collection. There were short kurtis to wear it on jeans in different colors, fabric  and design among other trendy long kurtis in different looks. I picked up three kurtis, one in crepe, one in cotton silk mix and the third one in cotton. There were many that I wanted to pick up but then I finally zeroed down to three.




There were Chikankari work done on Chanderi Silk,Printed Chiffon, Georgette and so on. I just fell in love with the crepe one as I love the feel of the fabric and the way it falls. These Kurtis  price range depends upon the fabric and the Chikankari work. From Rs. 800/- to 3000/-. The best part about this Kurtis, they are never out of fashion. It's a classic work and can be worn anytime.





The navy blue kurti is in crepe material and has Chikankari work all over with the dull gold and black black border around neck and below. The material is very soft and comfortable. There were some rich colors in this kurtis such as Bottle Green, Burgundy, Mustard Yellow and Deep brown with different borders. Since I did not had navy color in my wardrobe so thought of picking this color among others. Believe me it was a difficult choice to make which color to choose, as all the colors were pretty. The navy blue kurti would look great on off white leggings or white / beige pants.














I love the color of this kurti, very bright and vibrant. The material is mix silk and cotton. Soft and equally comfortable. You can team this kurti with black, beige or white pants or leggings. The base material has self design on it. There were very pretty colors such as Teal Blue, Neutral green, violet and mustard color available in this range. The size was the issue as most of the kurti were sold out.
















The evergreen material in Lucknowi Kurtis is cotton or Muslin as I mentioned earlier. You will find variety of designs, patterns and color in this range. This kurti has a raised Chikankari work on it. I picked this up as I liked the color, design and pattern.
This kurti has two color combination i.e. base color and thread color were in contrast. Colors available in this pattern were tomato red and blue, red and yellow, yellow and magenta pink red and green. All the combinations were great so advisable to pick up the color which would go well on your skin tone.










Hope you guys enjoyed reading this post. There are many shops of Luknowi Kurtis all over Mumbai, Santacruz, Lokhandwala, Andheri East and Crawford Market are few areas that I know of. You also get saris in Chikankari work which looks very pretty.

Do you like Lucknowi Kurtis ???

Have a great weekend and we shall catch up again on Monday now, as I mentioned in my earlier post my weekend is going to be superrrr busy.  Take care and have a great time.



5 comments :

  1. I enjoyed this post. I was not previously aware of Lucknowi Kurtis. Several of the pieces are very pretty. Thanks for sharing this information.

    Sharon
    http://www.afashioncrowd.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice post! it has really very good looking Kurtis every want to purchase it because its design and stitching is most beautiful.thanks for sharing.
    Chikankari Kurtis

    ReplyDelete
  3. Which is that shop In santacruz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't recollect the name of the shop but its just next to Mahavir silver plaza

      Delete